November 17th:All three of us were present for today’s shoot. We have now began filming scenes for the “Hidden a(gender)”, this week we have started shooting the daily routines of mostly the male character.  We are using a Canon SX530 for most scenes although for Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 16.22.04.pngsome of our production we are attempting to simulate ‘Point of View’ scenes; we are shooting these on an iPhone 5s. Initially we did attempt to shoot the point of view shots on an iPad although this proved difficult due to the weight and size of the device, this influenced my decision to shoot on the smaller and more compact iPhone which proved to be very effective.  We did initially face issue with some sections of our production, because we were shooting in low lighting to capture the individual’s morning routine (shooting in a dark room), this created a number of problems. Firstly, the camera was reluctant to focus on particular objects, and a flicker would often be visible on screen. Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 16.28.23
Another issue this created was, a proportion of our shots are very dark making it difficult to see what is happening on screen; we are reluctant to edit this in post-production as we want to keep the representation of each gender as realistic as possible. Today we got most of the male character’s morning routine shot, we did plan to go an start shooting the female’s morning routine also however we were unable to do so as the camera ran out of battery. We have temporarily postponed this until tomorrow for a fresh shoot.

November 18th:Today only myself and one other group member was present, this created a small issue as we could have used this time to shoot the male character’s evening routine as well as the female’s morning routine however due to this we just shot what we were able to today; the female’s daily routine. Despite this issue, we did manage to get a decent amount of filming done today although we are still facing the same issues in regards to lighting. It has also come to my attention that shots are often out of focus due to the change in proximity between the camera itself and the subject; meaning that we will need to re-shoot some scenes. This evening, I have been able to start the process of constructing our piece because I can now work with scenes from both genders.Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 16.41.53.png

November 23:Today, again due to group absence we were still unable to shoot the male afternoon scenes so instead we utilised this time to re-shoot scenes and to document the female’s evening routine.  Again I have continued the process of constructing and developing our production. As a whole, the production itself is coming together nicely; despite obstacles. I have started to experiment with scaling scenes in order to create a simultaneous temporal montage. I have also Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 16.52.48.pngbegan to experiment with the idea subject direction; trying to get each subject to occupy different sides of the screen.

 

November 24th: Today we were all present for the shoot meaning that we were able to shoot the remainder of footage needed. We were able to get all of the footage needed today, although now I have began to properly structure my production, it has become clear that due to issues with camera focus, scenes will need to be reshot.

Advertisements